Thursday, December 9, 2010

Pumpkin Waffle

I found these waffles on a The Spiced Life.

I had to make some adaptations to make them egg, dairy and gluten free, but the family enjoyed them. Particularly my mom and H. I have noted my substitutions in blue below.



Pumpkin Waffles
Adapted from Pancakes & Waffles: The Fine Art of Pancake, Waffles, Crêpe and Blintz Cooking

2 cups AP flour (I mixed 1/2 c tapioca flour, 1/2 c sorghum flour and 1 c white rice flour)
4 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 t ground ginger
1/4 t ground cloves
1 1/2 t ground cinnamon
2 large eggs, separated (I used 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum and 1/2 c warm water, beat and let stand 5 minutes)
1 1/2 cups milk (I used 1% with a dash of cream) I used regular Almond Milk.
1 cup canned pumpkin (or cooked and mashed)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar

Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside.

Mix egg yolks, milk, pumpkin, melted butter and brown sugar; beat until smooth. Gently mix in the flour mix.

Preheat the waffle iron.

Whisk or whip the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Gently fold them into the batter. Make waffles according to your iron's directions. Serve with whipped cream and maple syrup.

The waffles were sweet and pumpkiny, with a nice spice flavor. They were light and crisp on the outside and rich and moist on the inside.

H said he doubted anyone would know they were missing eggs, milk and gluten. I did end up using the butter, but I think canola oil would have worked just fine.

We will be having this again very soon.

No comments: