Saturday, July 25, 2009

Books

I got tagged elsewhere, but thought there was no harm sharing it here also...

Rules: Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen books you've read that will always stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes.

*****

1. A Fan's Note - Fred Exeley, that he killed himself might refute my ascertain that he was not crazy, but rather I think this book sticks with me because it was proof that I was not crazy, other people had crazy ideas floating around their heads and it was more than ok - someone might help you share them, by publishing them...

2. Es geschah an der Mauer - Rainer Hildabrant, I bought this in Germany the Summer of 1990, it has haunted me since. I bought in the shop next to a place, in Berlin where Nazi's killed 12 resistance workers. They hung them with piano wire. I have never fully reconciled in my head, how the slaughter of so many went without notice... or protest.

3. Pleasure of My Own Company - Steve Martin. What a charming book. I loved it. I blogged about it recently.

4. The Time Travelers Wife - Audrey Niffenegger, maybe my favorite book of recent memory. People either love or hate it... Cleverly crafted and a wonderfully rich story.

5. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Mark Twain. I think this is Twain's best work. It is a tad preachy, but what a powerful novel about human nature.

6. Unaccustomed Earth - Jhumpa Lahiri, this collection of short stores is dramatic in its simplicity. The last three - which are a trilogy of sorts brought me to tears.

7. The Hindi Bindi Club - Monica Pradhan, this book proves that mother daughter issues are present in every culture.

8. The Kommandant's Girl - Pam Jenoff, I am a big fan of fiction that examines the gray area. I blogged about this one also. People making seemingly impossible choices...

9. Resistance - Anita Shreve, I am mixed on her work. Talk about someone who rehashes the theme, casting it in any number of settings. This is a short book, but intense. I am still not sure how I feel about this book, but in terms of a griping story. This is it.

10. Forever - Judy Blume, I read this in middle school. I somehow knew I was not supposed to like this book, but I did like it. I reread it a number of times.

11. Tiger Eyes - Judy Blume - somehow this is the Judy Blume novel that "good girls" read. I loved it. I read it a number of times also.

12. Wie kommt das Salz ins Meer - Brigitte Schwaiger, this is a great read, a contemporary feminist questioning of marriage and life of a young woman, unhappy, trapped at home.

13. Damage - Josephine Hart - this quote has stuck with me for years... I know it to be true - then and now... "Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive." ... her follow up novel Sin, is no less distributing.

14. The Hand Maiden's Tale - Margeret Atwood - I find all of her work disturbing, but in a profound way. Her last book, about the alien's in the trees - so disturbing I can hardly think about it.

15. Lucky Man - Michael J Fox - a living in the moment manifesto. Better live this moment.

No comments: