Friday, March 5, 2010

Staring up at the sun cuz I crashed on my...

SNOWBOARD. Yep, that is right, I went today and learned a winter sport, a sport that involves snow. I know, I know, I do not like snow, but L had the day off school and a few of her friends (and mine) had invited to us to join them for some Friday fun.

It should be mentioned at this point in the story, that I cannot ski. I have taken lessons. H and I spent our 1st wedding anniversary in Breckenridge, CO and all I got for my trouble was a sore behind, a wind burned and sun burned face and altitude sickness. On the 4th day of the 6 day trip, I asked him how this possible could compare with a trip to the beach. (Did I mention I was black and blue everywhere...)

My mother picked us up at the airport. She recalls thinking, "Well it must have been that good..." I looked a wreck getting off the plane.

Last time I went out on the slopes.

Skiing perplexes me. What to do with the poles, and the skis go in opposite directions... do not even get me started on the chair lift which totally freaks me out, in part becasue I have no idea what to do with the poles. Beyond that it is a lawn chair on a chain, how is that safe I ask you?

So L and I decided we would try to snowboard. We rented our gear and took a lesson, she will other little people and me with the adults.

I have to say, not having poles is a plus.

Only having one board to deal with verses two skis, a bonus.

It took some doing, but I got the hang of it. L struggled some too, but by the end of the day, we both managed clean runs, down the practice hill, bunny hills. L zooming down her last run, like a pro. She looked so strong and confident.

I felt strong and confident. It seems to me that my Yoga practice really applies here - the body awareness and the focus on where the energy is flowing. L does it on instinct. She goes with the board. She has no fear and is determined. She is strong.

A year or so ago, I think I would not have felt physically well enough to attempt this. Today, I feel like I could conqueror the world. As I sit and type this I feel the bruise forming on my knee, I went down hard. I ought to have a bruise on my left hip but I don't. Otherwise my muscles ache like they do after a good workout.

Maybe it is the euphoria of tackling something that I always thought I would never do and actually enjoying it to boot. I want to do it again. With more lessons, I might even be able to tackle the big hills and who knows, maybe I have found the winter sport for me.

Ironically H has tried snowboarding and found it not to his liking. Tonight in a voicemail he said, he needed his two feet in skis pointing straight and not on a board side ways.

It also helped that today was a perfect winter day. No wind, warm, bright sun shining down on us, clear blue sky like a bowl overhead.

Just a perfect day, to grab life with both hands and live the hell out of it.

No comments: