Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Being a single mama, sort of...

I have said in the past that I am often a single mama with a husband. That is what it is like being a pilots wife. As I consider my options with my business (which is struggling) and what to do now that I have completed my MBA I am stumped.

I never planned on being the stay at home parent, much less the primary childcare provider for days at a time. With H's change in bases, I am very much about to be back on the single mama train. He will be gone for 4-5 days a week, every week, all the time. When he was in Detroit, sometimes it felt like he would pop in once a week just for dinner.

I have a hard time working now as it is on my business. Evening networking is extremely difficult. Having a social life is difficult also. The only time I have that is mine is M-W-F between he hours of 9:30 am and 3:00 pm. Not alot of work time... and seriously school is always out it seems. Today was to be a work day... Friday is a day off also... and oh wait... Monday too...

And it is not as if I do not enjoy the kiddo time, but I have tons of it on the weekends and what I do not have much of is dedicated work hours, which are not in the evening and frankly after three years of freelancing mostly after lights out, I am over that. The evening is me and house time, not work time...

I am wondering if I should just look for a traditional job, but honestly, that is also a challenge. No one to help with drop off and pick up and I am not sure I want to put the kiddos on the rat race treadmill. Did that once with L was a baby. It was brutal.

I also worry about my health. My gut can only take so much stress and then it rebels. I am finally feeling really good again. I feel strong and healthy again. I need to be good to my body...

So as I sip a glass of wine and think about my options, as H packs for NYC, I am not really thrilled with any of them... not thrilled at all.

No comments: