Saturday, October 9, 2010

Flour-less peanut-chocolate cookies

I adapted this recipe from the March 2005 edition of Everyday Food.

It was flour-less, hence gluten free from the get go, but I now have to eliminate eggs and that has proved my bakers Achilles heel. Until my friend and chief dough slinger at Rogue Bakery set out on the making me cookies that I could eat AND other people would want to eat. In the process he discovered and perfect a formula for replacing eggs in baked goods with Xanthan Gum. I used his formula and got these yummy gems!

Wanna have these tonight? Here is what you will need to do.

Preheat oven to 350.

Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Mix 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum with 1/4 c slightly warmer than room temperature water. Beat as you would an egg and let sit about 3-5 minutes. It will look like egg whites.

In a large bowl combine 1 c Creamy Peanut Butter (I used Skippy Natural, cuz that was what was open), 3/4 sugar, Xanthan Gum mixture, 1/2 tsp baking soda and pinch of salt. Mix well. Stir in 1/2 c whole unsalted roasted peanuts and 3/4 c semi sweet chocolate chips.

Mix well.

Using a table spoon or a medium scoop, spoon even amounts of dough into hands and form into balls with damp hands (to prevent sticking)

Mine did not spread much, but leave ample room between. You should get 12-14 balls.

Bake for 12-15 minutes, rotating the trays once.

My neighbor, my mom and my kids loved them. I think they are pretty tasty. No one guessed they were gluten and egg free.

If you are feeling lazy but still want some cookies - might I suggest emailing Rogue Bakery. His cookies are worth every penny and HE brings them to your DOOR.

No comments: