Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Stuffed Squash

I had one acorn squash and one random little yellow "sweet potato" squash. I decided to stuff them. Here are the results.

Wanna have this for dinner - here's what you need.

3/4 lb or slightly less bulk sausage. I used spicey Italian chicken sausage from Whole Foods.
1 1/2 c hot cooked rice (I used basmati from my local Indian market)
1/2 c golden raisins (also from my local Indian market)
1/2 med yellow onion, chopped
1 Tbs ginger paste (yep, local Indian market)
1/2 Tbs garlic paste (yep, local Indian market)
2 Tbs hot water
1/2 c grated cheese (I used some leftover sheep's milk regiano)

Cut and seed the squashes. Place on a baking sheet and preheat oven to 400.

Place raisins in a large mixing bowl and and toss with the hot water. Cook the sausage, breaking it into small pieces. Add onions, garlic and ginger pastes to the raisins and toss. Stir in rice and cheese. When sausage is almost done, dump - drippings and all - into the mixing bowl. Toss to combine.

Stuff into the squashes, mounding it high. Extra stuffing can be baked off in a small casserole dish.

Cook for 35 minutes or until the squash is tender.

H is not a fan of raisins or squash exactly and he ate one of each.









No comments: