Friday, November 16, 2012

Locally handmade gifts, easy as 1, 2, 3

I try to shop local and handmade for as many Christmas/Holiday presents as I can. It just feels nicer and I like supporting local artists. Below is a list of some local craft markets and shops, which I have visited in the past and found just the right thing. They are in no particular order.

The North Market.

Who doesn't love the market. Local food and farmers. Popcorn. Ice cream. Coffee and tea and spices (btw-- love the spice vendor. Love.) Annually they have a craft show and it is a great one. Just the right size to browse before or after lunch. A great selections and tons of fun. The last two years, the kids have shopped for grandparents at this craft expo. This year the North Market Holiday Open House is December 1 and 2, 2012.

Junctionview Studios

First of all I love this place. A co-working studio for various artists. They sponsor various open houses, art shows during the year and the one for the holidays is fantastic. A good mix of crafty items and arts.

This year the Holiday Art Market is December 16, 2012 from 2-6 pm.

Glass Axis

 Glass Axis is a glass work coop. They have a retail store and host public Sales and Workshops throughout the year. The Glass Pumpkin Patch in October is worth noting. The Holiday Sale and Workshops, is likewise worth the trip. This year the Holiday Sale is December 7-9, 2012. Workshops and handmade, locally blown glass. Perfect.

Not a craft fair person or busy on those dates, the following are shops/stores where I go to find local and handmade items.

Wholly Craft -- you just never know what you will find. They have quirky hours, so check the website.

Sobo Style-- not all local and not all new, but fun and funky.

The Candle Lab -- I love this place. I could make candles all day. You can pour your own or stick with something they have in stock. I love their bath bombs. Possibly the best bath bombs ever...

Objects for the Home -- not all made here, but many items are by local crafts people. Ask. I have always found them to be very helpful and knowledgeable.

So what did I miss? Do you have a favorite, not on my list???

No comments: