Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I knew there was something corny going on...

I tend to read these this ditties on YAHOO about food because well it is interesting to read about food I know I am not eating - ergo the dietary traps I am avoiding.

Today's topic sugar. None of this surprised me - although this paragraph was interesting.

All that from a simple candy bar or soda? Not exactly, but consider this: A dollar will buy you about 75 calories' worth of fresh broccoli, but food manufacturers can use that same dollar to purchase 1,815 calories of sugar. And thanks to government subsidies, high fructose corn syrup - the synthetic sweetener found in so many of the foods in our grocery stores - is even cheaper. It should come as no surprise, then, that added sugars are sabotaging nearly ever packaged and prepared food we put in our bodies — pasta sauces, smoothies, even whole grain breads.

I was shocked to see that the government subsides High Fructose Corn Syrup! Ugh that stuff is the bane of my existence and is frankly everywhere. This is the screwed up mess our government is - on one hand they are publishing Food Pyramids which make no flippin' sense and on the other hand they are footing part of the bill to manufacture corn syrup? Huh?

In it all, I am committed to eating food closest to their natural state as possible. So while butter is dairy - I have a hankering for something on my rice cake other than PBJ - I choose really organic or European butter. If I bake I go with butter and not margarine - it has too many ingredients I cannot pronounce and frankly oil should be a liquid at room temp.

We have processed ourselves into a food and weight crisis in this country and it is sad. My friends always tell me I am spending too much at Whole Foods. Well duh, I am buying foods made with real ingredients - obviously the government is only subsidizing the synthetic stuff!

If I want something sweet - I want it sweetened with natural sugar - so it can be as naturally sweet as I am!

No comments: