Wednesday, August 17, 2011

What's in a name?

I recently discovered that others, who feel the same way about protecting their online identities and exercising their right to choose, how much, when, to whom and under what circumstances they will allow online intimacy to occur have started a new website to share their stories.

A few weeks ago, I wrote about my relationship with what has become known as pseudonymity. I referenced the Ting-Ting's songs - That's Not My Name. That post by the way was one of my most read posts in the history of this blog.

I urge you to go check out the website My Name is Me. There are some amazing stories being told. It is important for all of us to have the right to choose, when and how we choose to build intimacy in our day to day lives, both in person and online. Our world is very different now and it is not impossible to have a friend across the globe you have never met before. It is not impossible to build virtual communities.

For some people letting it all hang out makes sense to them, to others, like me, we are cautious for a variety of reasons. As I said before, it really is up to the person disclosing, where they choose to draw the line.

No comments: