Monday, May 28, 2012

Music Monday: Disco Fever

I think once you have real life experience with cancer, every mention of cancer draws you up short. In the 90s, when I was an active sex educator and a vocal advocate for HIV prevention, we always made it clear that people discriminate -- HIV does not.

Cancer is the same. It does not discriminate. It comes in many forms. It will gladly change the life of a 4 year old or an 84 year old. Cancer is a tricky deal. It can play hide and seek with you... and once you have stared in the face... you are always looking over your shoulder...

My maternal grandfather died of lung cancer which had spread to the esophagus. My maternal grandmother died of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. My mother... thyroid cancer.

It made me pause that in a matter of weeks-- Donna Summer, Robin Gibb and Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys. All young and all dead too soon. Cancer is relentless and the world is the poorer for it.

This week I am posting a favorite song from each of these great and not greatly to be missed performers.

Donna Summers --- Last Dance

Bee Gees --- Tragedy

Beastie Boys --- Sabotage 


No comments: