Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Coffee Calories

The first cup of coffee I ever had was in Germany in 1990. My host family drank coffee every day for breakfast. My host brother liked to go to the cafe for coffee, mainly espresso or cappuccino. It was served in cute little cups with butter cookies. When I first drank coffee, I would add sugar to it. Either these natural sugar cubes or some raw sugar. In Germany they serve the coffee with Kaffe Sahne, or cream. Sometimes it is more like evaporated milk.

Today we drink decaf and even though I avoid dairy, I use a bit of half and half. It just seems right. The fake coffee creamer is well fake. I love the decaf at Northstar. I think it is the best coffee in the city.

Tonight I was watching some tv and both Wendy's and McDonalds have frozen calorie laden coffee drinks. Wendy's a coffee toffee whipped frosty and McDonalds some kind of mocha (which classically is hot chocolate and coffee and in Europe it is not all that sweet.)

Am I the only one who finds it ironic, that as bikini season is upon us, both of these restaurants roll out super sweet, high calorie beverages? Not that I will be running out to try either of these confections any time soon.

No comments: