Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Yarden in July

It is the dog days of summer. Whew. Hot and humid city. The deer have mad a feast of our yarden of late. I told Snickers she is sleeping on the job, an accusation she vehemently denies. She might be right, she is more interested in the feathered friends, who visit our yarden.

Currently she has her eye on the brave little bird who has taken up residence in L's colorful tree house. H and I decided this little bird has brass ones or just likes to fly on the edge.


She has a beautiful little song, while we are happy to have her, I think next year we should add a sign that says "Nest at your own risk."

My glads are going to bloom and I bet I miss them...


I also have to say that despite the change from monsoons to hot, hot, hot, full sun for nearly 12 hours, our porch boxes look great...


We have an amazing display of cone flowers. So pretty. The bumble bees are happy too...



Speaking of bees, they really love this flower too... I got this one because the man at the garden center swore deer won't touch it and they don't. Take that deer. If Snicker's won't run you off, I just might cover the yard in foul tasting plants.



We also have an early blooming sunflower. I think this another of E's seedlings. He has a green thumb.


The day lilies are also beautiful this year. All over our community and in our yarden too. I thought this one was especially lovely.


We also have lots of volunteer squash and pumpkins. (We eat alot of squash people... and that means lots of seeds into the compose pile in the fall.)


Some blossoms but no fruit yet. Maybe in a few weeks...





The deer love sunflowers...


But seem to not like this one, so I think I am investing in some of this for around the garden for next year...

Or perhaps some of the hostas, which even though we split them last fall, have over grown again...


So there we are a lush garden and yarden this year... I cannot wait for the later summer flowers and perhaps some slightly less humid conditions...


And H could do without the abundance of this as well. His ankles and shins are covered, poor guy.

No comments: