Sunday, July 22, 2012

All those Veggies and all that heat...

Hi. My name is Susan and I have a problem-- During periods of extreme heat, I eat the veggies raw.

Yep. I refuse to cook when the temperature is over like 85 degrees. Since we have been in a period of extreme heat, I have been eating the CSA share raw.

In fact we got some amazing peaches, which were so good and juicy. Great for pies. During periods of extreme heat, fantastic eaten raw.

This summer we have eaten some of the best blueberries I have ever tasted. All raw. I am sure they would have tasted just divine in muffins, cobblers and pies. During periods of extreme heat, they tasted mighty good raw.

We have had an amazing variety of apricots. I had dreams of homemade apricot preserves. Only, the idea of boiling water in the canning pot made me blanch, so we have eaten the yummy apricots raw.

I have made some corn muffins with fresh sweet corn. Last week, as the heat abated slightly, I made a layered casserole of potatoes, eggplant and fresh tomato sauce, which was oh so yummy.

So alas, I have nothing really to tell you about the veggies and my kitchen. Hopeful this cooler, rainy pattern continues and I will be motivated to cook again.

2 comments:

Rachel (Hounds in the Kitchen) said...

If I did not crank the a/c and cook anyways, my family would not eat. Good for you!

Susan said...

I have to say that my kiddos could be french peasants! They love good bread (fron the farmers market), expensive cheese (why did I introduce them goat cheese!), and fresh raw fruits and veggies. A saving grace is H travels alot, so the kids and I can veggie out and not worry...