Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Book review: We Need to Talk About Kevin

We Need to Talk About KevinWe Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

In terms of prose, this book is beautifully crafted. Shriver is an amazing writer and I will admit, the prose challenged me, which is frankly rare. It took me the first few chapters to get my head around what she was writing and how.

The subject matter of this novel is rough. Read the back jacket and you know what you are getting into. Shriver does not sugar coat, nor is she afraid to look the monsters in the closets right in the eyes and then dare them to blink. She dares you, the reader, to do the same.

I will also say that while we ALL know what happens, we truly have no idea. I made some assumptions in the beginning and Shriver systematically shoots them down, one by one.

I also will admit that she surprised me, really surprised me and disturbed me at one point in the novel.

I have to thank my book club for picking this book, I doubt I would have picked this one up on my own and I am going to look at Shriver's other titles. She is a talented writer and I admire her fearlessness...

View all my reviews

No comments: