Monday, October 22, 2012

Music Monday: Mom, they aren't even cute

L and I are reading the Lions of Little Rock for the 5th grade Grand Discussion, which is hosted by the school's librarian. The only rules are, you have to be in the 5th grade, you must read the book with a parent, and you and a parent must come to the discussion together.

In the book, the main character is saddened to learn that Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J. P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson have died in a plane crash.

L asked who they were and we looked them up on You Tube. L was grossly underwhelmed. "Mom, they aren't even cute, just like the Beatles weren't cute. Why are all those girls screaming like crazy."

I told her they were screaming just like girls now scream for Justin Bieber or whoever the hottie of the moment is.

She remained underwhelmed.

I can remember my mom talking about these stars. She was roughly a contemporary of the main character in this book. She remembered the "day the music died."

Buddy Holly... this isn't my favorite song nor is this a style of music that I enjoy per se

Ritchie Valens -- I remember my mom talking about how it was amazing that an Hispanic singer had made such a splash... We watched the movie LaBamba over and over when I was a teenager.

Part side show/comedy with some music. I don't get it, but then this was before on demand video and special effects. The Big Bopper... my mom would sing this one... in a word -- scary.

And the song that brought this to my attention:

Don McLean -- American Pie

So who is the heart throb of this generation? Who would the girls "miss the most?"

No comments: