Friday, January 21, 2011

Goodreads: The Bronte Project

Bronte ProjectBronte Project by Jennifer Vandever

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I loved this book. The prose is easy to read and very engaging. While one must not be a Bronte scholar, some understanding of the Bronte sisters, their works and their lives is helpful, to really grasp, how clever Vandever was.



I enjoyed some of the absurdity in the story, it was delightful and clever and while some of her characters are stock archetypes, it works. This is as much parody of literature as it is a love story.



At first the ending brought me up short, I will say I did not see it coming, not really, even though perhaps I should and it in some ways reminds me of the final scenes of the movie The Piano, not only in drama but in terms of rebirth and the claiming of personal power.



This book is worth picking up and at 288 pages - it is a quick winter read.



View all my reviews

No comments: