Friday, January 21, 2011

Sewing 201: Reversable Cape

When I was surfing during the holidays for sewing tutorials, I came across the blog, Lia's Crafty Journey and this tutorial. After making the gift bags, I felt like I could do just about anything.

And I did!

I made this cape with some fantastic fabric I found on sale at JoAnn's before Christmas. I have enough left over to make a dress with a short skirt or a skirt with an above the knee length. I am pretty happy with the results.


This is the back view. I made the cape slightly wider and longer than the patter calls for, as I am tall and my arms are longish. I wanted it to hit just about the waist of my pants.


The sleeves hit just below the elbow, which is perfect, I am glad I added a bit of length.

You can adjust the cape using the buttons, it has endless possibilities.

I used very flat pewter buttons, so that they would lay flat, since you sew buttons back to back on either side of the fabric. This project had me re-learning how to use the button hole presser foot and I still had a few false starts (hint: practice a few first on scrap fabric.) but all in all it worked out well.

I would sat all in it took me an hour and a half, but I never to work straight through on these projects, so I have been 15 minutes here and there.

Lia's down-under so her pattern is in metric measurements, but you can adjust to Imperial measurements or JoAnn's can cut in metrics if you ask. I have both sets of rulers and just worked in metrics.

Happy sewing!

(photo credits go to L, my sewing and creative partner in crime. At 8, she is all about crafting and photography.)

No comments: