Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Listening

While I was working, I took a sales seminar on "Overcoming Objections." I have to say it was not overwhelmingly helpful for my job, but I have found it really useful for working with E & L. Kids are by nature, really difficult to work with - they want what they want when they want it. Talking them out of whatever it is they happen to want - when they want it - is a chore for a diplomat. Equally challenging is talking them into something you want then to want; when they are absolutely opposed to that idea.

I have often thought that my two were the king and queen of opposition. But yesterday in the park, while playing in Muenster, I noticed that the other German mommas were trying equally as hard to organize their preschoolers too.

Apparently - not listening - to any language spoken by parents - is universal!

No comments: