Thursday, April 26, 2007

Waiting & People - Random wise wisdom

I have to say that one of the best things about traveling is people. I think watching people is one of the best ways to pass the time at the airport.

So since I had to wait about 2.5 hours on my friend to arrive in NYC today, I found a comfortable spot near her gate, drug out the iPod and my book. What could be better, music, a good book and 2 hours of time to read.

Well, a bit into my reading, an older couple arrived at the gate in wheel chairs. The looked to be in their 80s. I continued reading as they settled in next to me and began to talk to each other.

It was so sweet. They were so into each other. I just kept reading.

Then the gentleman, taps me on the shoulder and I take out my headphones and direct them towards the the restrooms.

Continue reading.

Then Ruth, the older lady, comes back. Her companion had shared with me that they had been in NYC for a week and were heading back to FLA. They had also been to a wedding in Boston. To which, I am thinking - you go you guys.... rock on! Traveling so much and being older. He had also shared with me that Ruth was 98 years old.

Get out, she did not look 98. Old yes, 98, no way.

So as she settles in we begin to talk. She is very nice and I got a bit of info on the grand kids and great grand kids. (She also tells, me rather conspiraciously that the gentleman is not her husband, but rather a really good friend and a great guy to travel with! To which I am thinking you go girl.....)

But then she hits me with a zinger. After she confides, that she happens to have a few years on me. She suggests that I start to savor and relish every experience I can, because when I am her age, that is what really matters. Those memories are what you savor. Your mental photo album, has real value she says.

Wow! I was thinking about that the other day, but she laid it out with such a seriousness, like she had really given this alot of thought. Like it was a juicy bit, the secret to life, that she had chosen to share with me.

Then as the time crept up and it was time to go meet my friend, I wished them safe travels and she shook my hand and kissed my cheek, telling me that I should live life well.

Wow! I mean it was random, but profound too. I really hope they made it back to the sunshine state alright. They were inspiring.

Here's to living life to the fullest!

No comments: