Friday, June 8, 2007

That little voice in your head...

My favorite TV program of all time, I think, was Magnum PI. I mean, what was not to like - Hawaii, hot guy in shorts, fast car, ect. I mean - Hello!

But most of all I identified with his "little voice" - you know the one he used to solve the case.

I too have a little voice. Now, I have never been able to convince my little voice to help me do anything nearly as useful as solving crime. Oh, no. My little voice tells stories. My little voice likes to examine ideas - from every angle. My little voice yells at me when I am not paying it enough attention. My little voice is sneaky. It will leave me be, stay silent for days at a time and then it jumps out from behind closed doors at the damnedest times. Like when I am running on the treadmill. I will be running along - in comparative silence and poof! out of nowhere - it is right there in my head. My voice will be trying out ideas, describing something in vivid detail, or asking me really tough questions. It will literally demand my attention.

All of this aside, I rather like my little voice. It supplies me some great ideas from time to time. In someways it does help me unravel the great mysteries of my life. It can be very entertaining.

So where am I going with all of this? Well, I will tell you and honestly, for those of you who know me well, you already know. I have also hinted at it on the blog a bit of late.

I have decided to try and make it as a writer. It is what I have wanted to do for a very long time. I like to write (obviously, I keep this online journal.) I also think that what I have to say, seems to have some merit.

In the past, I have always talked myself out of pursuing this course of action. I have always convinced myself that I will not be good enough or that no one cares about my stories. My little voice has always taken great offense to this. In fact, it can be rather resentful that I think so lowly of our creations.

So - hear me now little voice - I have just announced that we are writing. I have taken on some freelance work, I have a short story almost done for an e*book submission contest and in about a month, I will hear if my short story submission to the Washington Post Magazine was accepted or not. Wow. So I have put it out there. (I have ideas and outlines for a full length novel or two. Oh, ok little voice - 4!)

This process has been a long time in coming. I have to say thanks to JS, for giving me the much needed push in the right direction. Also, thanks to all who have been reading my little efforts and practices. Always great to get feedback.

Now, if only my little voice will settle down and let me focus... I might actually get some serious work done!

1 comment:

IHateToast said...

COOL!
when you get that novel down, send it to a manuscript assessor first! their advice can get you out of the slush pile sooner.

whee!