Thursday, August 7, 2008

The will is strong and the body is....

The other day my friend was lamenting her lack of running mojo! I have the mojo but sadly not the body to go with it. I ran yesterday but it was a push to get the 2 miles. My right hip is troubling me and well I am stiff in places I have not been stiff in for a really long time.

I really want to do the half marathon again. My brain wants to and my heart is on board - but my body seems to be saying - "wait a minute there girls, I am not sure I am game." My mind tells my body to push through it and go and my body responds by making it hurt just a bit more.

I know I have to listen to my body. If I have learned nothing in the last year and half it is to listen intently to what my body says. Cuz if I do not, my body has a nasty way of jumping me when my back is turned, ignoring it, and I have to say - my body wins - always.

This is not to say that I am not still working out and doing well - on the contrary. I am biking with the kids, running in the gym and doing the elliptical machine. All no problem! But when it comes to running for more than 2-3 miles, my body is slamming on the breaks.

This happened last year, but earlier in my training - so I am not sure what to make of this. Other than I am going to keep stretching and hope that we get past that - because I so want to run the half marathon again this year. Somehow it will just not be the same - standing at the finishing line watching my friend J finish it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

have you had your hip checked? i'm just asking because i had a stress fx and never felt it. only when i broke my neck-of-femur at the end of a mary. so get it checked. it might be bursitis or itb, but it could be a cracker of a hip. and, in case you think it's this, i've had the bone scan. youthful bones. just a bizarre break. turned out it was leg length difference. a big one. who knew?

anyway, check it out if you haven't.