Wednesday, February 13, 2008

All you need is love

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. I like Valentine's Day and not for the chocolate and the hearts and the flowers and all the Hallmark stuff.

I like Valentine's Day because I like to think that it is the one day where maybe - just maybe we might pause and take stock and truly appreciate those who are important to us. The world would truly be a better place if we strove to love one another first and foremost. To give people the benefit of the doubt, to think about how we would want to be treated. To be a little selfless from time to time.

Individually we do have power. Our actions impact those around us - sometimes in very small ways and sometimes in very big ways. If our hearts and minds are full of loving thoughts - there would be no room for judgmental and hateful thoughts. If we focused our attention on creating positive and healthy relationships - there would be no say or do hateful things.

I know the world can be a cruel and harsh place and I know I am a big girl and should not be so starry eyed and idealistic - but I have seen the power of kindness. I have seen the power of "paying it forward" of trying to lead by example.

I honestly think if we tried - we could affect change - quietly and gently and truly the world could be a better place.

Today I will be satisfied with - everyone tomorrow taking a deep Yoga breath when some cuts you off in traffic or bumps into you the subway or on the street and if when feel like saying something mean - you just smile and try to think of something positive to say.

Try to be in the moment tomorrow and be happy that you are alive and have people in your life who love and care for you. That is a huge blessing - which should warm you from inside out. It is amazing how that alone could change your entire outlook.

No comments: