Saturday, January 24, 2009

Chai for Me

I love Chai or as the Indian restaurant by me calls it "Special Tea." But the milk really is a no no and sometimes I indulge, I really should not. At Christmas my friend A came over and brought her Chai kit and made me Chai and I saw how easy it was and thought, mmm maybe I can do this.

So I treked over to the Indian Market and bought the loose black tea, masala (spice blend - I bought 2 - one designed for tea and the other for a curry dish and I have to say I like the one for curry better - it is zippy and hey it is my cup of chai.)

I made it a few times with half and half and yeah buddy that is good stuff. Then I tried to make it me appropriate. After a few tries, I think I like it made with plain rice milk or unsweeten Almond Breeze best. (I add my own sugar to the brew.)

So the general recipe for one large mug full is as follows -

1 tsp of loose black tea
1 tsp masala
1-2 slices fresh ginger, cubed
1-2 Tbs sugar
1.5 c water
1c Rice milk or Almond Milk (to taste)

Use a metal - non reactive pot.

Heat water in pot over medium heat. Add tea and masala and stir. Toss in the fresh ginger and bring just to boil. (3-5 minutes) Then stir in the sugar to taste and then the milk or milk alternative. Heat for about 2-3 more minutes.

Pour thru strainer into mug. Enjoy!

It really is good and satisfying. This makes enough for two smaller mugs or one large mug. Adjust the spices and tea depending on your taste, but this is the guide I use.

No comments: